Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lyon Street Steps

San Francisco is a city known for its hills.  There are hills with such a steep grade that it is a workout just to walk up and down the hills.  But hidden away in Pacific Heights, arguably the wealthiest neighborhood in the city are the Lyon Street steps.  In a way, they're similar to the Filbert Steps because they offer an incredible, atypical view of the city.   But also, it's completely different because there are locals that jog and walk up and down these steps as a way to exercise!  
The upper Lyon Street steps.
There is a garden that separates the upper and lower steps.
I walked down to the bottom section and this is the sight that was staring up at me.  I could not imagine trying to jog up this steep grade.  After finally ascending this section of steps, I thought I was going to collapse!
A few of the enormous mansions in this neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. If I want to live in this city, I'll not be able to ride a bicycle! Maybe living here will bring me excercises everyday! And great sceneries from the top of the hill can be obtain. I'm envious of people who live there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In spite of the hills, there are flat sections of the city, so bicycling is actually a popular activity. There are many bicycle rental shops located in touristy destinations. A popular thing to do is to rent a bike, ride across the Golden Gate Bridge to the neighboring town of Sausalito, then take a ferry back to the city. (I've never done this before, though. )

    ReplyDelete