Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cherry Blossom Festival, Part 2

Here are some photos I took of the Cherry Blossom Festival on April 17 and 18.  The weather was much nicer so the activities took place outdoors.
 Mikoshi on display the day before the Grand Parade.
 Some of the booths that were selling Japanese food.  The most popular booths were selling takoyaki, udon and of course, teriyaki burgers.
Young students of the SF Taiko Dojo performing in front of a large crowd.
Kendo demonstration.
Two women from the audience were called up on stage to try.  The one in the back with the long dark hair was supposedly a kendo student in Hawaii.   
There were also booths selling arts, crafts and merchandise that were Japan-related.  This one was selling Miyamoto Musashi t-shirts and samurai themed goods.  
 Many people wanted to take this woman's photo because of the beautiful kimono she was wearing, but actually, she was filming a Japanese language television broadcast from the Festival.  I'm not sure if the program was shown in the U.S. or back in Japan.
Many beautiful handmade dolls were being displayed.  I was amazed by the exquisite detail and craftsmanship that was required to make such lifelike dolls.  There were others that were very cute, like these mother and baby birds and monkeys. 
I talked to this woman just before I left.  She told me about the detail and time it took to create such beautiful dolls.  I then asked her which ones she made and was able to take her photograph standing next to her creations.  I was really very impressed and glad that I was able to see them.  Sugoi!

 Not Japanese-related, but there was a booth set up by a banking institution that was set up near the spot where I sat down to relax.  It was quite popular because everyone was allowed to spin a wheel to win a prize.  Most of them were tied to incentives to open an account with the bank.  But there was this cute monkey coin bank that a lot of people were hoping to win.  I didn't see anyone fortunate enough to win, however.
The 2010 Cherry Blossom Queen Court made a final appearance of the Festival.  They were on stage one last time to assist in the Festival Raffle.  They each drew the names of the raffle winners.  The grand prize was a new Toyota Corolla. 
Japan Air Lines, a long time sponsor of the Festival provided the parade float that carried the Cherry Blossom Queen Court.  They also provided first prize in the raffle, which was two round trip tickets from San Francisco to Japan aboard JAL.    Unfortunately, I did not win.  Boo...  :( 
2010 Cherry Blossom Queen Arisa Hiroi draws the name of the lucky winner!

I will create a separate post for the Grand Parade. 

1 comment:

  1. I guess it doesn't look like the sceneries in the US for everyone. It's fun to look them all^^ I can feel that people there have greater attachment to Japanese culture than us. I'm so happy for it! I think people often may be blind by staying in same place for a long time because we forget our important cultures easily.

    I'm looking forward to looking your another post soon♪

    ReplyDelete